If you aren’t a Burrata lover after this Burrata and Pesto Appetizer… I don’t what to say! Easy appetizers can be elevated and tasty, I promise. I hear all of the time that there is no way that appetizers can be as pretty as you make them or as easy as they sound. But this recipe is more than easy! It’s really not even a recipe… it’s more of a how to.
I know that when friends are coming over we like to procrastinate. This Burrata and Pesto appetizer will win your friends and make you look like a Martha Stewart.
Now Burrata is a soft cheese and is a form of Mozzarella cream. The outer shell is a firm mozzarella cheese, but the inside is a combination of stracciatella and cream.
The Kitchn puts it like this:
The Difference Between Mozzarella and Burrata. Fresh mozzarella cheese is a semi-soft Italian cheese made from cow or water buffalo milk. Burrata cheese takes the mozzarella one step further — it’s mozzarella that’s formed into a pouch and then filled with soft, stringy curd and cream.
Just remember a couple of rules:
- Always top your cheese with something.. whether that is pesto, cracked pepper, nuts, etc… just top it!
- Use fresh herbs as a garnish on the plate.
- White is Right! Always use a white or marble or neutral (a light neutral) colored plate – it really helps with presentation.
This Burrata and Pesto Appetizer will make you a Burrata lover – you will never make a charcuterie board again.
- 1 container of burrata (usually 2 bulbs)
- 8–12 oz. of fruit depending on size of your platter. (I used figs, however, figs are out of season a lot, another great alternative is Pomegranate arils.
- 1 jar of Pesto, mind the oil.
- A dipper – chips, crackers, or my favorite – Crostini (please buy the crostini already pre t0asted and seasoned)
- Place burrata on the serving dish and smush the bulbs just enough to let the soft mozzarella on the inside ooze out.
- Top with Pesto.
- Place fruit on and around the cheese.
- Serve with crackers (or crostini!)
So do me a favor. When you love this recipe as much as I do, will you post about it? Will you tag me on Instagram or Facebook? Will you share this post with your friends? I hope you do!