All great things that happen in the kitchen happen when you have fun! That is how Fried Feta Cheese came about for me! We went to celebrate my girlfriend’s birthday and I had bread crumbs leftover as I was preparing a mediterranean pizza for our gal pals. So I decided to fry this cheese up and holy cow. It changed our life!
I am a huge fan of all things mediterranean. I love fresh cucumber salads, Tzatziki sauce, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, hummus.. the list goes on and on and on.
But let’s chat about Feta Cheese. Usually it is on top of pizza and salads and is crumbled, right? And if you have ever attempted frying mozzarella or goat cheese, you know it can be extremely difficult because when cheese gets hot, it melts, it certainly doesn’t hold it’s shape!
However, Feta cheese has such a high melting point that it makes Fried Feta Cheese this cheese super easy! So try it!
Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you about this Caraway pan. This is the Caraway Fry Pan. I’m obsessed with Caraway because they are Non-Toxic using a mineral-based coating that won’t leach toxic materials into your food. They are eco-friendly and release up to 60% less CO2 when you cook with them vs. other brands. And they are Non-stick so they need less oil and butter and then easy-clean-up (which… duh!)Print
Fried Feta Cheese
- 1 block of feta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Take the Feta Cheese and pat dry with paper towel.
- In two bowls put the beaten egg and bread crumbs, separately. Add the teaspoon of salt to the bread crumbs.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan over medium-high heat.
- Take the feta cheese and dip each side with the egg and then dip each side in the breadcrumbs. I like to do each side one at a time. **Make sure to coat the block with the bread crumbs – don’t be shy with the egg (that is your glue!)!
- When the oil is hot enough that the breadcrumbs sizzle, hold the Feta with tongs and rotate leaving the cheese on the oil for 30-45 seconds, or until each side is crispy. It will not take long. So don’t try to multi-task or walk away 🙂
- Serve with warm honey drizzle, on a plate with your salad, or with crispy pita chips!