I found some fresh corn at a vegetable stand the other day and decided to make a fresh appetizer of Roasted Corn Salsa for dinner. This salsa combines all of the best flavors of cilantro, lime, chipotle chili powder and fresh corn! Be warned though – this salsa is addictive!
To be honest, this is actually a great salsa for tailgates, parties, and get togethers where you need an appetizer to be good for a long time. It doesn’t necessarily need to be warmed up and can be eaten cold or room temp. It is also a great make-ahead dish if you need to prep something the day before.
Pro Tip: Grill your corn on the Stove! (really fires up the flavor on the roasted corn salsa!)
I don’t actually own a barbecue grill (I mean I’m single… what’s a girl to do!) which is why I grilled it on top of the stove. As the corn is roasted on the stove op, the kernels will start to pop (just like popcorn hehe). The kernels – if you don’t watch them – will go everywhere. But let me tell you – the taste is amazing.
One other pro tip: serve this Roasted Corn Salsa with Hint of Lime Tortilla Chips! Really heightens the flavor.Print
Roasted Corn Salsa
- 3 cups of corn – fresh, frozen, or canned
- 2 tbsp butter/olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 can mild Rotel drained and patted dry
- ¾ c light sour cream
- 4 oz crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/2c chopped green onion
- 8–10 Jalapeno slices finely chopped, if desired (I don’t desire these)
- ½ c fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp paprika or taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Heat corn in the microwave according to package instructions or shuck fresh corn off cob.
- Put 3 cups corn in skillet on stove top with butter and roast until corn begins to brown and pop.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice and top with cheese and seasoning just before serving!
- Serve with chips and enjoy!