It is stew season, especially Beef Sausage Stew. I really enjoy throwing things into a big dutch oven pot adding some stock and letting them marinate together. Especially with my favorite spices. This time of year is just perfect for a nice sausage and root veg stew!
Did you know the difference between a soup and stew (according to Google… and a Taste of Home) A soup is a combination of vegetables, meat or fish cooked in liquid. A stew is any dish that’s prepared by stewing – that is, the food is barely covered with liquid and simmered for a long time in a covered pot.
This stew is best eaten after a while when it “stews” or marinates together. However, it can be eaten as a soup right away!
In this Beef Stew recipe I have added the ‘hack’ version so if you are short on time… use the hack version!
These are the fresh ingredients. But, the recipe can easily be adapted using canned, frozen, and grocery store pre-diced vegetables!
The recipe is super easy:
- Caramelize the sausage with the olive oil.
- Sauté the onions, garlic, and spices.
- Add all of the vegetables and boil with Chicken Stock
- Simmer for 10 minutes and then add the kale!
Root Veg and Beef Stew
This stew can take up to an hour if you use fresh root vegetables, however, I have created a shortened version of this Beef Stew that will take you only about 20 minutes because you buy everything pre chopped/diced.
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 pkg Beef Sausage (I like Hormel), sliced quarter size.
1 onion, diced
- 1 cup pre-diced onion
3 carrots, peeled and diced
- *1 can sliced carrots, in water
3 parsnips, peeled and diced
- *These can be hard to find canned or frozen, but I have found them in a frozen 12 oz. root veg medley – which is perfectly fine to add the entire mix directly to the stew.
- If you can’t find a pre-cut parsnips – omit parsnips and add an additional 1/2 cup of butternut squash and 1/2 cup of carrots.
- 1 cup barley
2 ribs celery, diced
- *1/2 cup pre diced celery
10 baby yellow potatoes, cubed with skin
- *2 14.5 oz cans of sliced new potatoes.
2 cups diced butternut squash
- * 1 16 oz. bag of pre-diced Butternut Squash
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle Chili
2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp minced garlic (from a jar)
- 6 cups chicken stock
2 cups chopped kale
Note: you can not go wrong with more vegetables. You can gage your preference in the shortcut version based on what you purchase – but I like mine really vegetable heavy. Just alter the amount of chicken stock you add to the stew to help balance out the soupy-ness.
- Carmelize sliced sausage in dutch oven with 2 tbsp of oil on medium-high heat, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic and seasonings to sausage and sauté together.
- Next, add all of the vegetables, barley and the chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add Salt/Pepper to taste and add kale right before you enjoy.
Note: the longer you let the soup simmer… the better this stew will be! So it is a perfect stew for leftovers and the winter!
So do me a favor. When you love this recipe as much as I do, will you post about it? Will you tag me on Instagram or Facebook? Will you share this post with your friends? I hope you do!