I recently made this easy Tomato Basil soup for a Grilled Cheese party (See that post here). It is such an easy soup! You know sometimes when you make a soup you have to let it sit and develop flavor over hours? Well, as always I am providing a recipe for a soup that will be on your stove and in your stomach in about 30 minutes!
I love serving this with Grilled Cheese sandwiches or really nice artisan homemade croutons! Regardless always serve it with a nice wide, thin grated parmesan cheese.
During the winter this is a go to meal to have in your fridge. If you are just making it for yourself… make it and immediately put half of it in the fridge and Half of it in the freezer. It will only develop it’s flavor profile over time – which is the best part of tomato soups!Print
Turn tomatoes into this Tomato Basil Soup on a wintery afternoon and dinner will be ready in 30 minutes! I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 28 oz can of San Marzano Tomatoes peeled
- 6 sticks of fresh thyme
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. In a large oven (and stove top) safe pot, combine the tomatoes, onion, olive oil, thyme, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the tomatoes just begin to char and release their juices.
3. Take a hand held immersion blender to the tomatoes and onions and puree until everything is smooth and mixed together. Add the milk and San Marzano tomatoes – continue to blend.
3. Return the soup to the stove over medium-high heat on the stove. Stir in the pesto and season the soup with salt and pepper. Add more milk to thin it out if you want.
4. To serve, ladle the soup among bowls and top with parmesan and basil AND don’t forget the grilled cheese!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Soup
Make sure to subscribe to the blog down below so that you can get the posts sent straight to your inbox! Share this post with your friends and your family so everyone can get these great tips and as always tag #atabletopaffair on instagram and Facebook to share your fun inspirations!! Can’t wait to see them!
Don’t forget to leave your comments below!